Friday, January 8, 2010

the gift



One of my students is a Navaho sand painter. He did painting demonstrations in a museum and has received commissions to do these paintings for people around the world. He has told us that these paintings represent a part of Navaho culture and language that he is trying to preserve and pass down.

This man has leukemia cancer, and his days are numbered.

I brought him a little sand painting kit from Wall Mart so he could demonstrate for the class. The guys were so moved, and I believe could sit and watch him paint and listen to him share about his tradition for hours and hours. That day he said "I only have months to live and I have a gift to give, I need to give this gift to you, and I will make all of you paintings." Now he spends all his class time at a little table paiting with sand.

His presence and his gift bless us.

No comments:

Post a Comment